WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby mm55 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 pm

With Aaron Brooks winning a cadet world title and McHenry winning his second, it seems all but a done deal that neither will consider going to college park now unless a total staff overhaul happens.
mm55
Veteran

Postby Je1720 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 pm

With preseason upon us let's talk lineups!
125-cray this will be exciting to see his development through the program with one year under Kerry's wing!
133-Goodwin back for his senior year ... in betting an NCAA appearance
141-diehl looked decent at big tens for being out of competition for so long! Let's see what a summer and preason of training have done for him
149-Bannister with his second year at 149 should fare better as he has a better feel for the weight and his competition (another possible NCAA qualifier) watch out for young peter Tedesco, he was a stud in high school and back on the mats from injury
157-Cochran from what I've heard Alexander is out with an injury so this gives great opportunity to see a stud recruit like Cochran showcase his talents as a blue chip recruit with a summer of college training under his belt.(this is a real big ten move and I like it) Other than that Hodges has transferred , Boychuck has transferred and Rastreppo's career is over with an injury.
165/174-Ugalde, Burnham/White/this weight is a toss up with Ugalde starting out at either 65 or 74... not sure how much he's grown but the other weight looks like it can be a toss up with Burnham And white.
184 smith I'm loving this spot, smith can wrestle and has had an impressive freestyle season under his belt this summer. Let's see what he's made of this season(NCAA qualifier dark horse)
197-Whisler the kid has a year of he big ten under his belt , let's see how the summer training and experience has treated him this year
285 Hemida this is the brightest ray of hope in our lineup , lost in a grueling match of the blood round and is coming back with a vengeance. If someone is to all American this year than it's this guy

All in all we have a formidable lineup IF we were back in the ACCs. But being we're in the big tens we will always have a brutal matchup. A lot more hopeful for this year and this teams success as long as we stay away from injuries and injury defaults out of tournaments.
GO TERPS!
Je1720
"Newbie"

Postby MadHatter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Je1720 wrote:With preseason upon us let's talk lineups!
125-cray this will be exciting to see his development through the program with one year under Kerry's wing!
133-Goodwin back for his senior year ... in betting an NCAA appearance
141-diehl looked decent at big tens for being out of competition for so long! Let's see what a summer and preason of training have done for him
149-Bannister with his second year at 149 should fare better as he has a better feel for the weight and his competition (another possible NCAA qualifier) watch out for young peter Tedesco, he was a stud in high school and back on the mats from injury
157-Cochran from what I've heard Alexander is out with an injury so this gives great opportunity to see a stud recruit like Cochran showcase his talents as a blue chip recruit with a summer of college training under his belt.(this is a real big ten move and I like it) Other than that Hodges has transferred , Boychuck has transferred and Rastreppo's career is over with an injury.
165/174-Ugalde, Burnham/White/this weight is a toss up with Ugalde starting out at either 65 or 74... not sure how much he's grown but the other weight looks like it can be a toss up with Burnham And white.
184 smith I'm loving this spot, smith can wrestle and has had an impressive freestyle season under his belt this summer. Let's see what he's made of this season(NCAA qualifier dark horse)
197-Whisler the kid has a year of he big ten under his belt , let's see how the summer training and experience has treated him this year
285 Hemida this is the brightest ray of hope in our lineup , lost in a grueling match of the blood round and is coming back with a vengeance. If someone is to all American this year than it's this guy

All in all we have a formidable lineup IF we were back in the ACCs. But being we're in the big tens we will always have a brutal matchup. A lot more hopeful for this year and this teams success as long as we stay away from injuries and injury defaults out of tournaments.
GO TERPS!

A few notes on your notes...

125- Agree, I think we're all excited to see how our biggest recruit from last year will do. He had a fairly productive redshirt season, racking up a ton of matches. No real huge wins, but it looks like he got stronger as the season progressed, and he won his last 10 in a row.

133- Everyone loves Goodwin's upsides and offensive style. But the elephant in the room with him is his injury status. If he can stay healthy for the entire season, I think he is capable of a top-20 ranking and an NCAA qualification. Unfortunately he has not been able to stay healthy for any length of time in the past.

141- I think Diehl looked more than decent at Big 10's; he looked great. Not sure what changed, but he knocked off 3 top-20 guys, including a pin and a major. He hit a streak of bad luck at NCAA's, where he ran into 2 top-5 guys. But if he can keep his momentum, look out.

149- Agree. Bannister put together a fine season last year, and he seems to be emerging as one of the better 149's in the country.

157- I hate the idea of a true freshman in the starting lineup. True, Cochran is a high level recruit, but I don't think he qualifies as an elite recruit- Flo had him listed #41 on the 2016 Big Board. Remember, this is the Big 10- Nolf, Kemerer, Jordan, and Berger are all top-5 guys at this weight. However, the lack of depth at what was a fairly deep weight for us makes this sort of inevitable. On that note, are you sure about the status of Hodges? He is still listed on the roster, and I didn't see his name on the transfer wire. An injury to Alexander and Boychuck suddenly disappearing are disconcerting, but this sort of thing is kind of par for the course with this program.

165/174- I guess this is a platoon weight, and I think your assessment of "toss up" is fair. We'll just have to see how things progress with weights, wrestle offs, and injuries.

184- Yup, I can't wait to see what a healthy and more experienced Smith can do.

197- Agree, Whisler looks to be a capable starter here.

285- I think Goodwin, Diehl, Bannister, and Hemida all have outside AA shots, but I agree with you again- Hemida may have the best shot. He was on fire for the second half of last season.

All in all I agree with you in most areas. However, I don't think our lineup can be called "formidable". Better than the last few years? Oh yes, easily. In fact I think this may be our best team in 5 years, at least on paper. However, that's the problem- it's all on paper. Historically we have had an absolutely terrible time with injuries. It seems that at any given time over the last few years, we are missing 2-3 guys out of the starting lineup. But... yes, if all goes well and we stay healthy and keep our lineup consistent, we will win some matches.

P.S. Welcome to the boards.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

A couple of good run downs of our projected starters this year. Obviously Goodwins backup will be interesting as I am sure they will get more than a few varsity matches this year. This team has young talent, maybe not top end talent but competitive interesting talent nonetheless. Our Big Ten schedule is brutal this year and I think we will be lucky to get even 1 dual win (probably Wisconsin, Rutgers or Penn State...... obviously I'm kidding about Penn State). Seeing what Cochran can do as a true freshman will be fun to see, but Ryan Diehl interests me more than anyone else on this roster. He is the best recruit we have had since Hudson Taylor and has the offensive capability to wrestle with the best at this weight. He is however still listed as 149 on the roster and it was hard for him to come down to 141 last year. I'm curious if he and Baby J will wrestle off for 149 in the room or if he will just go down. And if he does go down how will he do cutting that weight all year.
I hope that is a bad rumor about Hodges. The kid is talented and really competed for us during a completely lost season 2 years ago. I'm tired of only hearing about negative rumors surrounding this program. This guy is transferring, that guy doesn't have the grades, another guy quit, this coach is leaving, that guy is injured. I'm tired of it so I'm gonna start my own positive rumor and we'll see where it goes. I heard from a good source, that I obviously can't name, that Kyle Snyder will be transferring to UMD effective immediately and will accept the in conference transfer rule of sittting out a year (unlike a former Penn State guy) and will use the redshirt year to clear his head after a rigorous 2 year international wrestling schedule. He will then wrestle for his hometown team next year with the understanding that he will be Kerry McCoy's replacement the year after that. Boom positive rumor effectively started. I feel better now. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:52 pm

157 used to be our deepest weight with Hodges, Alexander, Rastrepo, Boychuck and Jahi Jones. I see that Boychuck has transferred to Buffalo. I thought that was a big loss as he showed some real aggressiveness and potential last year. At minimum, he was a very good depth piece. Considering how injured our team is, he would’ve seen a lot of mat time. As the poster above reported, Alexander is hurt which is nothing new. We now know that Rastrepo has an injury that ended his career and now you are saying that Hodges is gone? That would be a big loss. Hodges struggled some his freshmen year but showed some legitimate potential. I had him penciled in as the starter this year even with all of these guys back. He has the most upside. Unbelievable if true. I like Cochran as a recruit but figured he would be a 165 or maybe redshirt. I guess he’ll be thrown into the fire now. Goodwin has potential but we’ve been saying that for years. He wasn’t on the team last year and the reason this time wasn’t an injury. On paper, we should be improved but our depth is really concerning again. We’ve lost a lot of key depth pieces this off season for whatever reason. Also, hearing that Mansur Malik isn’t on the roster as he has some academic hurdles to clear. It’s amazing how many of our top tier recruits have fallen into this category. We have ZERO fall signings so far (2018 class), our spring signings that were announced (2017 class) were really below par and we added a D3 wrestler to our coaching staff (no offense to him but it’s hard to overlook this). I’m trying not to be pessimistic but this off-season has been one punch to the gut after the other.
ne125
Expert

Postby Je1720 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Yes confirmed that hodges is out. This leave some us with injured Alexander, Jahi Jones, and Cochran (cochran with the most upside and potential). 157 was one of the most exciting weight classes two years ago recruiting wise with high potential Boychuck and high school nationally ranked Hodges and Rastrepo. Now we have none of them left and the depth at 157(along with many other weights) is lacking to say the least. Once Alexander graduates and Cochran moves up to 65 at his projected weight, there's a MAJOR hole at 157.
But can we address the elephant in the room here in regards to all these injuries? Is it the training regimens, lifting, or maybe just the kids that have been recruited? Look back at Blue Chip josh llopez who competed at one open for TWC and was injury defaulted out of the tournament to be never heard of again, what happened?! There's a trend going on here with injuries and guys defaulting out of tournaments over these past few seasons that is easy to notice. And I highly doubt we're that unlucky with recruiting injury prone kids. Yes this is div 1 college wrestling, but I've never seen a team get injured as much as this one...Why the heck are our wrestlers getting injured left and right?

For some good news,yes ne125, Mansur I hear is getting into the school the second semester.
Je1720
"Newbie"

Postby MadHatter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:36 am

fitzi22 wrote:A couple of good run downs of our projected starters this year. Obviously Goodwins backup will be interesting as I am sure they will get more than a few varsity matches this year. This team has young talent, maybe not top end talent but competitive interesting talent nonetheless. Our Big Ten schedule is brutal this year and I think we will be lucky to get even 1 dual win (probably Wisconsin, Rutgers or Penn State...... obviously I'm kidding about Penn State). Seeing what Cochran can do as a true freshman will be fun to see, but Ryan Diehl interests me more than anyone else on this roster. He is the best recruit we have had since Hudson Taylor and has the offensive capability to wrestle with the best at this weight. He is however still listed as 149 on the roster and it was hard for him to come down to 141 last year. I'm curious if he and Baby J will wrestle off for 149 in the room or if he will just go down. And if he does go down how will he do cutting that weight all year.
I hope that is a bad rumor about Hodges. The kid is talented and really competed for us during a completely lost season 2 years ago. I'm tired of only hearing about negative rumors surrounding this program. This guy is transferring, that guy doesn't have the grades, another guy quit, this coach is leaving, that guy is injured. I'm tired of it so I'm gonna start my own positive rumor and we'll see where it goes. I heard from a good source, that I obviously can't name, that Kyle Snyder will be transferring to UMD effective immediately and will accept the in conference transfer rule of sittting out a year (unlike a former Penn State guy) and will use the redshirt year to clear his head after a rigorous 2 year international wrestling schedule. He will then wrestle for his hometown team next year with the understanding that he will be Kerry McCoy's replacement the year after that. Boom positive rumor effectively started. I feel better now. Go Terps!

Yes, I heard this too! I also heard that upon hearing of Snyder taking over, Brooks and McHenry immediately signed letters of intent. And then, get this, Helen Maroulis decided that she wants to be closer to home, and struck a deal where she (along with her coaches) will workout with the lightweights and help with technique! And then Kolat offered to come on board as the top assist, and he is bringing half of Campbell's starting lineup!

We can dream, can't we?
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:56 am

Je1720 wrote:Why the heck are our wrestlers getting injured left and right?

Je1720, this question has been asked over and over and over. Seriously, if you have some time to kill and you feel like some dark reading, treat yourself to the pages (and pages and pages) of us Maryland fans wondering why/when/who/how such and such was injured. It has been a constant with this program over the last 5+ years, and yes, it has absolutely made a huge difference in our W/L record during that time, and yes, it is beyond frustrating. None of us get it, especially when we can see the top teams coming out, week after week, with the exact same lineup. Example A: Cory Clark last year was essentially wrestling with 1 arm the entire season. After NCAA's, when the extent of his injuries were made public, I honestly think he may have done some major and permanent damage to himself. But he started every single match, every single week.

If you can figure it out, God bless you.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 am

It looks like we have some solid information being posted to this board as I just checked Umterps.com and Wade Hodges is no longer listed on the roster. Again, I consider that a pretty big loss. Losing both him and Boychuck hurts some very solid 57 depth. From last season to this season, the following underclassmen are no longer on the roster: Boychuck, Hodges, Michael Beck, Vin Diflippo, Garrett Griffith, Hunter Lucas, Jake Rastrepo &Garrett Weneski. Besides maybe Hodges, our staring lineup may still be intact but we lost some guys who can step in and contribute when injury inevitably occurs. UMterps has Cochran listed at 165 but I will defer to the poster on here who suggested that the plan was for Kyle to move down to 157. Currently 158 fall D1 signings announced on intermat and UMD has none of them. As for the injury thing being discussed, it’s been going on for the past 5-6 years and been a hot topic on this forum. Kids feel that not competing is an option when they are dinged up. I don’t agree with it at all but then again who cares what I think. The injury defaults at tournament trend is ridiculous though. My guess is those wresters just feel like calling it quits for the day and head home. They fall prey to group think. It’s almost like they all show up and say no matter what stage we are in the tournament, we are leaving by 4 o’clock. That concept is so foreign to me. There is so much value to wrestling back for 3rd or 5th at those big opens but maybe our guys have big weekend plans on Route 1 to attend to. Our program just needs to get more hard-nosed in general.
Last edited by ne125 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ne125
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:53 am

Solid post NE and great info from all in general. To add to that I hear that Goodwins disappearance last year was academic related again (remember he was unable to get into UMD and deferred enrollment) and that the issue isn't necessarily done with yet. This could possibly end up being another Shy Brown scenario but I hope not. So that pretty much completes our annual preseason checklist:
Below average recruiting class. - check
Weak current recruiting cycle - check
Random disappearance of a good wrestler (Hodges) - check
Good recruit who doesn't show due to grades (Malik) - check
Projected starter who is in academic limbo (Goodwin) - check
Major injury to a starter - just wait it's coming

All joking aside I made very similar posts the last 3 seasons.... very sad.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Well, a few bits of good news:

Flo has Diehl, Bannister, and Hemida all ranked in the top-20. Now we all know that a preseason ranking doesn't count for a ton. But I feel that at least it shows our top guys have the confidence of the ranking staff at Flo, who usually know what they're talking about. I can't specifically remember the last time we had at least 3 guys ranked at once, but I assume it was back in the Sheptock-Boley-Myers-Alexander days. Of course we weren't exactly top-10 material back then, but we were a .500 team.

I also heard that Brooks has MD listed as one of his top-5 schools, and he plans an official visit soon. We need to take this with a grain of salt though- I'm pretty sure Myles Martin, Snyder, Downey, and Ethan Smith all listed Maryland as a "possibility". And with Kerry's status in limbo I can't imagine why a top recruit would consider landing here. But... for whatever it's worth... Maryland is still in the running for Brooks.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I have heard that Kerry and Sheptock are putting in ALOT of time in the recruitment of Aaron Brooks and that is certainly a good thing. Beyond that, the family definitely likes both Kerry and Sheptock alot as Aaron has spent some time in College Park over the years. One part of me thinks that there is no way a kid who presumably will have Ohio State, PSU and other major players after him would consider UMD given it's current state. That said, I do know that the Brooks family likes our staff a lot and it is a possibility though I am not holding my breath. That said, isn't Brooks going to the OTC as a freshmen next year and then will enroll in college 2 years from now? If that's the case, it's too far off to speculate what kind of a chance we might have. I might have my facts wrong on the OTC thing so someone please correct me if I am wrong Landing Brooks would go a LONG way in Kerry getting us back on track. We need some kids like that to sign on and see who else follows. Cochran was a good example of this last year. He's going to be a stud. I don't want to get my hopes up as we've seen a lot of rocky times but Kerry is due credit for making a strong attempt at Brooks. Hopefully he has some other strong possibilities for the fall signing period. I hate to get negative on the state of things but it's hard not to. By the way Fitzi, your pre-season check list was hysterical.
ne125
Expert

Postby meats » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm

ne125: As usual, you are right on the money. According to 2 Flo articles based on Brooks' interviews, he is definitely going to the OTC after this season, his senior year. The recent Cadet World Champ has serious Olympic aspirations. So his availability is at least 2 years away. However with such an international freestyle focus, one would think he would be looking at programs loaded with big time freestyle athletes for coaching as well as workout partners. Similar to what Snyder was looking for in Ohio State. So I say we should focus, as least for the immediate future, on those 39 recruits remaining from Flo's top 100 seniors. The list gets smaller every day now.

May I second ne's shout out to Fitzi, his "check list" really cracked me up. Only someone who has followed the program with such enthusiasm over the past 5 years would be aware of this combination of events which has become this program's trademark. Thank you Fitzi for bringing some levity to our woes. I consider it therapy.
meats
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Agreed. Fitzi's checklist was right on the money. Sad but funny.

I'm not getting my hopes up with Brooks. As stated, he has Olympic-level goals, and I just don't see how someone with that mindset could settle on a program that has kind of been a graveyard for promising careers. I suppose that all of our drop offs, drop outs, no shows, and ineligible athletes do have one upside: scholarship room, something that Penn State and Ohio State most certainly do not have, But even if we do land him... one kid doesn't make a team. Remember, Kerry scored quite the coup when he signed Bannister, who was ranked second nationally as a senior and could have probably landed just about anywhere. Talk at the time was that Baby J would be the lynchpin for a young, tough, and rebuilt Terps squad. Well, he is a proven and capable starter, but his presence hasn't led to a rash of top tier signings or a string of team victories.

In related news, MD now has 5 high school kids ranked in their respective weight classes: Brooks, Kraisser, and McHenry, Guida and Parr from St Paul's. Not much here, really. Kraisser will doubtless follow his brothers to Campbell, and the St. Paul's kids nearly always go Ivy League or something similar (Duke, UVA, UPenn, Navy, etc.).

Given the fact that his contract is still in limbo, I wonder if Kerry is even trying any more, or if he is busy polishing his administrative resume.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Schedule is out http://www.terpswrestling.com/FOW2017.pdf. I know times have been tough but we still need to support the program. Don't forget to donate to friends of maryland wrestling. Go Terps!
fitzi22
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10