WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2018

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2018

Postby thewhorehouseisbusy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 am

Communication skills may be the best predictor of coaching success.
thewhorehouseisbusy
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Looks like PSU is already recruiting McHenry. I wonder where Brooks is looking. I have to believe many top programs are in pursuit for him too

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-stat ... rt-mchenry
ne125
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 pm

Md Native Aaron Brooks repeated his Fargo success with another championship. I am really hoping MD can get him. Any news on any other potential recruits or action?
Terpfan
Novice

Postby ne125 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 am

A few housekeeping items. As you mentioned, Brooks won a Junior National Freestyle title in Fargo meaning he will be one of the most coveted recruits on the east coast. The kid is a big time talent. Someone in his family posted on another board that he is going straight to the Olympic Training Center next year before matriculating the following year. He stated that Aaron has only visited PSU and Maryland but undoubtedly he will explore a ton of schools in the next year until his commitment in settled. I am sure Kerry is doing what he can to bring him to College Park but again it is a tough sell when you’re battling for elite recruits and your program has been a bottom tier big ten program.
The 2017-18 roster is posted on the umterps website. There are some concerning omissions listed. You have to take this with a grain of salt but we’ve seen in the past that kids not listed on the roster when it is initially posted in the late summer, aren’t on the team in the fall. I see that Danny Boychuck is not on the roster. I thought he had a nice year last season and showed some potential. He definitely was pretty aggressive and fun to watch. We are pretty set at 157 with Hodges and Alexander but he was certainly a threat to start and at minimum be a good back up especially with Rastrepo done for his career. I also see that Mike beck is no longer on the roster. Though he was not the answer at 125, I thought he made some strides last year and would be a solid back up to Cray. In addition, Hunter Lucas is no longer on the team at 125. I had heard he was going back home to wrestle at a school closer to home. He was so-so but had some decent highschool accolades as a Ohio State Runner up. I guess that leaves Vargas as the only true 125 battling Cray. I thought Vargas might be a candidate to move up but hopefully he can stay down and add depth/battle cray for a spot. He started off really good but really hit he freshmen wall. It looks like Garret Weneski is not on the roster anymore which leaves us with one HWT on the Roster in Hemida. This leads me to the most concerning point. Where is Mansur Abdul Malik? He was the 2nd big recruit in this class and now he’s not listed. Is this another in a long line of kids who sign with UMD and then don’t matriculate? He definitely was someone who could make an impact on our program though I thought his senior season was sluggish to some extent. Last year, our 2nd best recruit, TK Megonigal never showed up, the year before Idris White had a delayed entry, Josh Llopez, Ryan Diehl –delay entry, Louie Hernandez, etc. It’s frustrating when you’re not recruiting well and then to lose out or get delayed starts on guys at this level. Oh well.
Man-I do hate to be negative but it’s hard to provide a thoughtful analysis and leave out some of this stuff. On the good side, I think the guys had a good spring/summer wrestling freestyle and some Greco and that should serve them well. On paper, we should have our best lineup in many years so that’s something to look forward to. I’m just concerned about Depth at some weights, especially now with these potential departures.
Also, I don’t have a name but have heard a little about the credentials of the guy who supposedly has replaced Catullo. Let’s just say I am underwhelmed but hopefully they prove me wrong. Also, we have no 2017 fall commitments yet. How the heck does schools like NC State (for example) have 5 top 100 recruits almost every year but we struggle to get one a year?
ne125
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Good to see these boards alive again, and I hope everyone has had a good summer thus far.

Looks like we have a bunch of different points being brought up, and I want to get my 2 cents in on a few of them. As far as in-state recruiting goes... I'm not holding my breath on any of our local super studs staying put. As we all know, Maryland does not stack up well in terms of state depth, but we do put out 2-3 guys per year who can compete on a very high level. Aaron Brooks is, of course, one of the biggest names in the state (if not the country) at the moment. However, I believe that he has now made it final that he will spend a year at the OTC. After this, who knows? There are just too many variables to consider, and he is at least two years away from joining a college team. McHenry is another national-level guy, but he is just a junior, and to the best of my knowledge hasn't made a peep about future possibilities. But let's face it- a wrestler of his caliber is going to be recruited by all the big names and programs. And the Terps don't have a great record of being able to lure those types of kids away from the Ohio States and Iowas of the sport. Additionally, there is yet another Kraisser in the pipeline. Like his brothers, he appears to be the real deal, but I'm pretty positive he will end up at Campbell, wrestling for Kolat.

I believe that sums up the list of current Maryland guys ranked in their weight classes. Of course we had a decent showing at Fargo, with a few AA's spread out over FS, Greco, Cadet, and Jrs. However, even if we can land a few of these second-tier guys, they are not the types who can help turnaround a program and keep us competitive in the Big 10.

Yuck, another negative post. I really didn't mean to start the season off this way... :cry:
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:53 pm

ne125 wrote:25- cray (fr)
33- goodwin (sr)
41- Diehl (jr)
49- bannister (jr)
57- Hodges (so)/ ugalde (so)/ Alexander (sr)
65- cochrane (fr)
74- Ugalde (so)
84- Jaron smith (so)
97- whisler (so)
Hwt-hemida (jr)

We've got good depth too with white , beck, gerish, burnham etc I heard recently that Rastrepo may have a career ending injury and hunter Lucas might be transferring back to Ohio somewhere

I may regret saying this in a few months, but I feel that this is the best team we've seen in recent years, at least on paper. For the first time in a while, we don't seem to have any glaring holes in the lineup, and every guy on this lineup should be a .500+ performer. However, this is Maryland, and things always seem to come up. So I feel it is only fair to ask the big questions for every spot:

125 (Cray): He had a solid, if unremarkable, redshirt year. How will he perform under the bright lights of the country's premier wrestling conference?

133 (Goodwin): Can he stay healthy? Smart money on this one is "no". I am still not sure what sort of catastrophic injury he sustained last year, that ended his season before Christmas. Or what the issue was the season before.

141 (Diehl): Which Diehl will we see? The one who took out 3 top-20 guys in the B10 tourney? Or the one who had gotten majored by Division II guys?

149 (Bannister): Will this be Baby J's breakthrough year? He was on the cusp last season, and his pedigree and record last season suggest anything short of an AA season will be a disappointment.

157 (I feel Hodges has the best shot here): He struggles as a true freshman two seasons ago. Did his redshirt year get him the experience he needs?

165 (Cochrane): How will he hold up to the grind of D1 wrestling, especially with such an injury-plagued program?

171 (Ugalde): 171 is a heavy weight class for a guy who has struggled with consistency. Can he make the jump and will he managed to start the entire season?

184 (Smith): He displayed loads of talent as a Freshman, but he lacked the finesse and technique to really compete at a high level. Can he put it all together?

197 (Whisler): He looked overpowered at time last year. How much good did a summer in the weight room help?

Hw (Hemida): Can he continue the hot streak that marked the second half of last season?
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby KTG » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:46 am

re Baby J....he went something like 10-4 in 1 point matches last season. Can he up his game a bit to create some separation from too many of those kinds of matches? or will he get game planned a little better by the opposition? 10-4 can become 4-10 pretty quick if you wrestle too many of these kind.
KTG
Veteran

Postby MadHatter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 pm

KTG wrote:re Baby J....he went something like 10-4 in 1 point matches last season. Can he up his game a bit to create some separation from too many of those kinds of matches? or will he get game planned a little better by the opposition? 10-4 can become 4-10 pretty quick if you wrestle too many of these kind.

Well... I guess 10-4 in close matches is better than 4-10. And those types of wins against tough competition (Laster, Theobold, Kargbo) are acceptable. But otherwise, yes, Bannister needs to rack up points. Remember, a decision in a dual meet provides half the team points that a fall does- a huge difference for a team that will be outgunned against most conference opponents.

Truth told, I am mystified as to how/why Baby J has transformed into a conservative, low-scoring wrestler. Coming out of high school, he was regarded as an absolute dynamo who was very difficult to prepare for. Now he seems content to take a 1- or 2-point lead and sit on it.
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby KTG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:40 am

MadHatter wrote:
KTG wrote:re Baby J....he went something like 10-4 in 1 point matches last season. Can he up his game a bit to create some separation from too many of those kinds of matches? or will he get game planned a little better by the opposition? 10-4 can become 4-10 pretty quick if you wrestle too many of these kind.

Well... I guess 10-4 in close matches is better than 4-10. And those types of wins against tough competition (Laster, Theobold, Kargbo) are acceptable. But otherwise, yes, Bannister needs to rack up points. Remember, a decision in a dual meet provides half the team points that a fall does- a huge difference for a team that will be outgunned against most conference opponents.

Truth told, I am mystified as to how/why Baby J has transformed into a conservative, low-scoring wrestler. Coming out of high school, he was regarded as an absolute dynamo who was very difficult to prepare for. Now he seems content to take a 1- or 2-point lead and sit on it.

MadHatter, thanks-you summed that up better than I did. Yes-great to be able to win close ones against tough opposition. But also it would be nice to see some more O from a guy who seems (or at least seemed) to have that skill set.
KTG
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:03 pm

Terps new assistant coach....Seth Ecker, Ithaca College/ncaa d3 national champ

http://athletics.ithaca.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=1713
ne125
Expert

Postby Terpfan » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:46 am

I saw the new announcement about the new assisstant coach and was... well I don't know. He seems like he could be a good coach, but could we not get anyone with D1 experience? I see Kenny Courts is at our OTC, and he too seems like someone who may be good but certainly is not a WOW addition. The new roster of incoming freshman was released as well, and I felt a little underwhelming. A lot of 133lbs but still not another heavyweight in the room for Hermida to practice with? Maybe they think Malik is going to add 50 lbs.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:18 pm

ne125 wrote:Terps new assistant coach....Seth Ecker, Ithaca College/ncaa d3 national champ

http://athletics.ithaca.edu/coaches.aspx?rc=1713

Who???
MadHatter
Veteran

Postby meats » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Malik wrestled quite a bit at 220 this past season. However, he is not listed on the roster and I wonder if he is another one of our "delayed" enrollees. It's always something.
meats
Veteran

Postby razorsedgeCE » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Check out the latest wrestling news and updates here FREE!!!
https://youtu.be/qhTf2llgXBU
razorsedgeCE
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm

http://www.flowrestling.org/ranking/305 ... bGBX62WymQ

Don't look now, but Diehl is ranked 12th by Flo. Interesting and encouraging- such a ranking means that several knowledgeable experts have confidence in him. This isn't too far fetched, really- remember, Diehl was an absolute blue chip recruit. Of course the challenge now is keeping him healthy and focused, something we have not been successful with in recent years.
MadHatter
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10