WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2017

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2017

Postby Terpfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:28 pm

This is a real puzzle as has been mentioned already it is the worst possible decision. Give him a long extension and support to build something or hire someone new to go in a new direction. This gives Kerry no advantages in recruiting or certainty, (Unless he is going to pull off some coup with new assistants like Va Tech or ISU have) and it gives fans no purchase with the team. Are they hanging on, changing direction, rebuiliding? who knows. I know it does not look like they will win any big 10 matches or produce AA's.

Is there a press release for this, or is this more of MD's stealth athletic advertising. As a fan If it were not for this board I would have no idea who was on the team/off the team, who the team was looking at etc. It is very dispiriting.
Terpfan
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:18 am

Ugh. I am simply floored by this. Like everyone here, I like Kerry- he seems like a heck of a good guy and he had a legendary on-mat career. But this program just has too much wrong with it, and as much as I personally like Kerry, I was really looking forward to moving on to the next stage for this program.

Every day I check flo or intermat and I see the same things: Pitt making overtures toward Santoro and Flynn, Iowa State signing Olympians left and right, Va Tech passing the torch on Robie, etc. It looks more and more like wrestling is following in the steps of the big sports and is seeing something of an arms race, with each program trying to one up everyone else. Well, it looks like we're just going to have to get used to being in the back of the pack.
MadHatter
Novice

Postby meats » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Over the past 3 years, I had been foolishly holding on to the possibility that the UMD Athletic Department and Kevin Anderson actually cared about the wrestling program and after Kerry's contract was up, they would make the painfully obvious, tough call and seek out a new head coach. Well now it should be perfectly clear that they have no serious interest in wrestling whatsoever. Now we know where we stand...and it looks pathetic. It's a sad day for those who really care about this program and I especially feel bad for the current kids and the Terp alums. This has knocked all the wind out of me with so little hope for the future. I would like to thank all of the great posters over the past 5 years or so that have enlightened, entertained and lamented over the state of UMD wrestling.
meats
Veteran

Postby randypl21 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank goodness you are all floored and deflated about this. Maybe now I can troll the wrestlingreport forums in peace, without having to read all the gloom and doom posts on the Big Ten forum...

Actually looking at what MD did this year and what their lineup should look like for the next year, I would say its not far off for them to have a maximum of 8 NCAA qualifiers based on the big 10 allocations this year and a range of 1-4 AAs based on who is returning from the tournament. See yall this time next year to see how my projections go.

Meats enjoy your vacation!
randypl21
Veteran

Postby meats » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:29 pm

randypl21, as always, your concern for the UMD wrestling program is most touching.
meats
Veteran

Postby mm55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:30 pm

Randypl21 who do you see being these 8 qualifiers? I'm look at Bannister,diehl,hermeida,and alexander. That's all without seeing who's at their weights for big 10s.
mm55
Veteran

Postby Terpfan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 pm

I know it was mentioned that Kerry received a one year extension but where was that publicized? I know getting information out of the wrestling program is like getting it out of old Soviet Russia, but was there an announcement? Where?
Terpfan
Novice

Previous

Return to BIG 10