WR Sites Daily News College High School WPIALwrestling.net

Maryland 2017

Moderator: GAH

Re: Maryland 2017

Postby nittanykid » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:18 pm

meats wrote:Nittanykid: Thank you for the interest in the Maryland program and the list of potential Head Coach candidates. A fine group indeed. Many of us fans began to see cracks in the Terp program begin to form 5 years ago, way before our B1G days. And quite frankly it has been obvious to us that a coaching change has been needed for quite some time now. And may I say desperately needed. This painful and continual progression to mediocrity has taken its toll on many of us supporters as well. It has got to be a done deal that Kerry will be gone at seasons end as his contract is up, so we believe. Now an aggressive campaign is needed to find the right man to resurrect the program. Thanks again for your suggestions.

You're welcome. I would really like to see the lower tier teams in the B1G start to be more competitive, and this usually starts with a change at the head coaching position. Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, and Maryland really need to overhaul their programs in order to be competitive in the Big Ten. Like I said, it kills me to think that someone as great as Kerry McCoy needs to be replaced, but he hasn't gotten the job done; in recruiting or in coaching up the kids that he's brought in, so it's time for a change.

Also, that crazy old fan that you guys have was right beside me a few years ago when Ed Ruth was wrestling Sheptock in the NCAA finals, wearing bright Maryland shorts and waving the Maryland flag. That guy is nuts! Had us cracking up.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby fitzi22 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:38 am

So what's the deal with Bannister? I saw him on the sidelines the last 2 matches and he wasn't on crutches or have a cast on or an eye patch or something. He's been out for several weeks with the always discriptive "undisclosed injury", and now I readTestudo Times and they are saying with Bannister out Hemida is our best chance to even qualify for NCAA (probably true). If he is done for the year or not even 100% for BigTens we might actually stoop below our pathetic record breaking performances of the last 2 years. NE I'm looking in your direction.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Fitzi, to be quite honest – I am not sure what the deal is with Bannister. I heard a rumor from a relatively recent alumn that the coaching staff is keeping him out to protect his record for the post season. I hope that isn’t true as it would definitely be a huge mistake by everyone involved. I really don't believe this to be true, however, I’ve also seen Bannister bouncing around at terps matches with no sign of injury so who knows what the truth is That said, I wouldn’t read much into the testudo times article. I think they are just making the deduction that since bannister has been out for so long, Hemida is the best guy currently in the lineup with a chance to qualify. I would be very shocked if Bannister wasn’t wrestling at the big ten’s. We’ll see if he shows up this weekend versus Drexel as Cimato is a pretty tough kid. I think it’s a solid bet that Bannister makes it to nationals as 149 doesn’t have a lot of depth in the big ten. However, is he going to be at his best having not competed since mid –January? It’s been a brutal season and it looks like we’ll only end up with two wins. I think Hemida and Bannister should get to nationals and that Rappo and Whisler have a shot too. 133 is the deepest class in the big ten but that should mean more qualifier allotments. I am trying to find that positive here in what has been another trying season to say the least. Too many injuries and unexplained absences caused major holes in the lineup once once again.
I see we got a solid 125 commitment (Anthony Cirillo, Rock Point NY) from Long Island who is a 2X state placer and took Adam Busiello to the wire in the county tourney

NEWSDAY
The collision course was set months ago when Rocky Point senior Anthony Cirillo announced he would wrestle at 120 pounds in the Suffolk tournament.
The decision to move into the 120-pound bracket set up a potential showdown with two-time defending state champion Adam Busiello of Eastport-South Manor, who has already verbally committed to wrestle at Penn State. The anticipation of such a bout grew through the weekend as both wrestlers earned a spot in the 120-pound title Sunday night at Suffolk CCC-Brentwood.
“No one takes on the champ, they all run,” said Cirillo, who placed third and fifth in the state tournament and is committed to wrestle at the University of Maryland. “Everyone counted me out. I knew I had a chance against a great wrestler and I wanted to take that shot.”
The bout drew the packed house of 3,600 from its seats more than once as the two scrambled to score points. Cirillo used a five-point cutback move and built an 8-1 third-period lead against Busiello, the top-ranked wrestler in the country at 113 pounds who moved up into the 120-pound bracket.
Busiello battled back to 8-5 and countered a Cirillo move with a well-timed Granby roll to put the Rocky Point challenger to his back for the wild pin in 4:53. It was Busiello’s third Suffolk crown and improved his career record to 191-8.
ne125
Expert

Postby TwoCrows » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 pm

I don't think Rappo is getting the respect he deserves. While neither he nor Hemida are ranked on Intermat or AWN, Rappo is ranked number 20 by TOM. I think their tournament performance as well as the allocation will determine if anyone makes it.
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby KTG » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

with Dresser leaving Tech for Iowa St, more competition as far as finding the next coach. Figure Tech, Maryland, and Pitt could be talking to a lot of the same folks. Maryland advantage: member of the B1G; Tech advantage: current level of success; Pitt I think will likely get 3rd pick of the bunch all things considered.
KTG
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:49 am

KTG wrote:with Dresser leaving Tech for Iowa St, more competition as far as finding the next coach. Figure Tech, Maryland, and Pitt could be talking to a lot of the same folks. Maryland advantage: member of the B1G; Tech advantage: current level of success; Pitt I think will likely get 3rd pick of the bunch all things considered.

Except that Maryland hasn't fired McCoy yet, and there hasn't really been an indication at this point that they will. VT and Pitt are currently actively looking for a new coach (although I think VT may just have their new head coach already in the fold in Zadick).
nittanykid
Expert

Postby KTG » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:23 am

Except 'kid, it's relevant here because there's been lots of discussion on this thread regarding Kerry's potential replacement (including you providing a long list of viable candidates). As for Tech-Robie has been named interim head coach and there's lots of talk suggesting that Zadick will follow Dresser to Iowa St.
Last edited by KTG on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTG
Veteran

Postby ne125 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Let me clarify a point on this. McCoy will not get fired in this situation. His contract is up and if the administration decides they are ready to move on, then they will simply not renew his contract. Nittany kid, the speculation right now is that since UMD has had one big ten win in three years, it would be hard for the administration to rationalize extending his contract. I was open minded going into the season but we were 2-16 this year which is just too hard to ignore. Who knows what will happen as I doubt anyone here has inside word from the athletic department. I will reiterate that Kerry is a real respectable guy and has represented the university and athletic department well. His teams just have not gotten it done on the mat lately and sometimes change is a good thing. If Maryland decides to move on, I’d hope that they’d offer him an administration job because I believe I heard one time in his career that he wanted to get into the administrative side of things. The timing right now would be good as any while he is still relatively young. Also, from a wrestling perspective, you can never have too many allies in administration at the D1 level. We’ll have to see how things play out.
As for Virginia Tech, I would think that Robie will be the heir to that job. He’s been with Dresser from the beginning down there and has helped him build that program from the ground. I remember when UMD was the hot up and coming program in the ACC during the 2006-2011 years while both programs were trying to become nationally relevant. However, Dresser has really gotten things going down there. I am not a Virginia tech fan but I am impressed by what he has done. Also, they’ve gotten some real good crowd support at their duals and have a real following. The whole deal with getting kids to move to Christiansburg and then they end up at VA tech seems a little rogue to me but maybe that’ s just my view on it. Robie has head coaching experience and based on what I know, is well respected around there. Sometimes an interim tag means just that, but I would expect Robie to be named permanent coach in the spring. We’ll see though as you never know what coach might throw his hat into the ring on this. Zadick would be a huge asset to any program but he’s only the second assistant and I think Robie might have a better business acumen for the job at this moment. Again, this is just an outside guess.
Pitt is interesting. One of my sources said there is an interesting name that might be heavily considering this opportunity. I don’t mean to be vague but sometimes you have to use discretion when discussing these things on public boards. Heck, I try to balance between being a fan of the UMD program and also have meaningful discussions on here. It’s hard to walk that line when the program is struggling. Whatever happens at Pitt, there could be a domino effect. I expect there to be 1-2 other head coaches moving on after NCAA’s so it should be an interesting off season.
People have mentioned Pritzlaff on different boards maybe landing at one of these potential opening but I think Goodale will do everything possible to keep him at Rutgers and he is definitely happy there. He’s also a very loyal Jersey guy and I think it’s beyond a given that he’ll be the head coach there someday. That said, if he was offered a head coaching position at a good school with a big salary, it would have to be hard to say no. I think Hahn is in the same position as Pritzlaff up in Cornell
ne125
Expert

Postby GoTerps1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm

As for Pritzlaff, my thinking is as follows: A bird in the hand beats two in the bush.

Promises of future head coaching jobs in the Big Ten mean nothing.

To be a head coach in the Big Ten is no small offer.

Kerry is done. He has got to be done. I can't see any rational reason to retain him as a head coach.
GoTerps1
Novice

Postby TwoCrows » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:53 pm

While there may be great candidates for replacing Kerry, there's been little discussion about whether they would want to come to Maryland. In theory Maryland should be an attractive position. But is the school willing to pay an attractive salary not only for the head coach but for a number of high quality assistant coaches? Will the University provide the tools and financing necessary to become a competitive B1G program?
TwoCrows
Veteran

Postby fitzi22 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am

Crows I'm glad you said it, I was thinking the same thing. When McHugh retired, UMD alum Tom Miller was named head coach and after about a week resigned due to better opportunities in the private sector (lots more money). This left UMD at a loss and forced them to do some soul searching as to what they wanted to do with the program. This moment was probably the closest we ever came to losing the program. Debbie Yow made the decision to go for a good up and coming coach by increasing the head coaching salary significantly (I believe she doubled it from$60000 to $120000) and she was able to land Pat Santoro. We are in a similar situation now. The landscape of the sport and UMDs conference situation has changed over the last 14 years and if you want to be competitive you have to make a larger $$ commitment to do it. Our model of just paying the head coach a good salary just won't cut it anymore. Obviously Yow was well known for her willingness to throw money around at just about everything. Hopefully Kevin Anderson realizes that just by committing a few extra $$ to assistants along with a good salary for the head coach, he can probably turn this putrid program around in about 3 years. But Kevin Anderson seems more like a Yes man to me so who knows.
fitzi22
Veteran

Postby meats » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:30 am

I am glad we got this issue out in the discussion market. UMD and the state have committed to the Xfinity Center and new Cole Field House Project recently. Significant undertakings both. We now have moved to the B1G Conference where wrestling is a huge deal. It seems logical that upgrading this sport at this time makes perfect sense and the Athletic Department and Kevin Anderson see this as a natural progression to the B1G Conference. One can only hope. For once I plan to be optimistic, perhaps overly so. We will find out over the next month and a half if UMD is serious about this great sport. Alums, start beating the drums. It's now or never.
meats
Veteran

Postby nittanykid » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:49 am

The great thing about Maryland coming into the B1G, is that their TV deal is worth beaucoup bucks for all the teams in the conference. Couple that with the fact that wrestling is a huge sport in this conference, and yes, there are a lot of reasons to get Maryland's program out of the doldrums. I really don't think it would take that long, either. Like I said before, UMD is a great University with a great location. Now that it's also part of the B1G, that's another big selling point. Recruiting wrestlers out of national powerhouses like Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York shouldn't be very difficult given the school's close proximity to all of those states. But I do agree that it's probably time for a change. Any coach would love an opportunity to be a head coach at a B1G program (there are only 14 of them total). A good head coach with a strong name could probably turn this program around in two or three years.
nittanykid
Expert

Postby MadHatter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:29 am

I think whoever is our next coach can start by shoring up in-state recruiting. True, Maryland is nowhere near the level of PA, Ohio, or NJ in terms of talent or depth. But we do produce D1 caliber wrestlers on a fairly regular basis. I decided to make up a quick little "starting lineup" composed of just Maryland wrestlers that are NOT named Kyle Snyder. Here is what I ended up with (anyone that wants to throw more names in is certainly invited to do so):

125- Nathan Kraisser, Campbell starter, currently 23-6 and ranked 14th
133- Tyler Goodwin, currently injured, was ranked 12th when injured
141- Kevin Budock, ODU red shirt, currently 19-13
149- Baby J, UMD starter, currently 21-3 and ranked 15th
157- Austin Kraisser, Campbell starter, currently 18-9
165- Tyler Rill, Buffalo starter, currently 10-8
174- Pete Galli, Stanford starter, currently 23-5 and ranked 18th
184- Hunter Ritter, Wisconsin starter, currently 17-12
197- Kevin Snyder, Ohio State red shirt, currently 13-4
285- Cory Daniel, UNC starter, currently 17-12

Note that in addition to Kyle Snyder, this list does not include native Marylander Pat Downey (2016 All-American), who was just kicked off ISU. Also not included is Myles Martin who attended 4 years of high school in Maryland but lists NJ as his home state.

Of course we also produced recent all-Americans such as Matt Miller, Mack Lewnes, Michael Cannon, and Josh Asper. Maryland is a solid wrestling state that puts out enough talent to fill a D1 lineup with quality starters. Now of course, every state looses some top guys to the big programs. But I'll take the above listed lineup over Maryland's current lineup any day...
MadHatter
Novice

Postby MadHatter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 am

Regarding the coaching position which we all assume is opening up (wouldn't it be a shitter if the school just renewed McCoy's contract?), we've obviously got some competition. Of course the elephant in the room is ISU/VA Tech and Dresser moving over. I can't say I blame him- ISU is a storied program, and it appears that they are ready to make a real commitment to their program. Good for them. I have zero feelings on Iowa State, but I like the idea of the old Iowa-Iowa State shaping up again.

Then there is Pitt. I think that the biggest attraction to Pitt is that a coach could throw together a pretty solid lineup by recruiting in their own zip code. I know little about the school or the program, but Western PA is one the biggest wrestling hotbeds in the country. In addition to recruiting, Pitt is located in Wrestling Country- last year they drew over 7K when Penn State visited. Most coaches can only dream of such numbers.

A third school that may be a factor- and mind you this is all hearsay- is Oregon State. In fact, Oregon State is going through a situation that is eerily similar to Maryland's. In 2006, Oregon State handed out big bucks to sign Jim Zalesky, one of the hottest coaches around. Although Oregon isn't known as a true wrestling state, their administration decided to make a real commitment to the sport. And at first it worked, as Oregon State finished inside the top 20 several times over the next few years, while producing a dozen all-Americans. However, they have regressed in recent years- in recruiting, in development, and in performance. Currently they are 5-7, having been crushed by schools like App State and Drexel. Attendance and excitement are low and most agree that a change is needed.

So I guess at this point all we can do is wait and see what the athletic administration wants to do. While I doubt the program is in danger, I have doubts that they will be willing to make a real financial commitment to a no-revenue sport.
MadHatter
Novice

PreviousNext

Return to BIG 10